Stress and grey hair – fact or fiction
A popular belief is that stress may cause grey human hair. But is that a fact or a fiction? Is it possible that hair turns gray overnight? Many would say it is possible and one of the examples is Marie Antoinette. Supposedly, right before she was guillotined, her hair turned white. While stress may cause certain issues, the questions is, can the stress really change the color of the hair?
In certain age, hair starts to change its color, and in most cases, first white hairs are noticeable in the thirties. Some people may notice a few grey hairs earlier, while some won’t have a single grey hair until they are in the fifties. The question is, is the stress the main reason of premature greying, or is it genetics, or some other reasons?
Why the hair changes its color and becomes grey?
One of the main questions is why the hair changes its color in certain age, and why it becomes grey, or in some cases, completely white. This is something scientists are working on for decades. Before we are born, the hair is white, and it gets its color from the type of pigment, called melanin. There are two pigment shades, light and dark. The light one is called phenomelanin, and the dark one is called eumelanin. The combination of those shades creates different hair colors. Pigment cells, melanocytes, create melanin, and the pigment will be injected into keratin cells that build the hair. In certain age, activity of melanocytes will slow down, and without the pigment, hair turns grey.
Experts say that stress hormones may have the impact on melanocytes, their activities and survival. However, there is still no evidence that hormones of stress have the impact on melanocytes, and that they are the reason why melanocytes fail to deliver the pigment to keratin cells. All that means there is still no evidence or clear link that connects stress and grey or white hair. The conclusion is that stress and grey hair are a fiction.
What are the causes of premature greying?
- Genetics – people whose parents have grey hair earlier in life, for instance their thirties, are more prone to it. It means they are most likely notice first grey hairs in that same age.
- Poor nutrition – many different studies shown how poor nutrition may have a huge impact on the scalp, and quality of hair, and even its color. Lack of protein, vitamins and minerals may lead to premature greying.
- Smoking –due to smoking, pigmentation capacity may be decreased, which lead to premature greying.
How to avoid premature greying?
Premature greying can be avoided with some natural remedies, such as:
- Indian gooseberry – it should be included in the diet, or it can be applied as a paste on the scalp
- Coconut oil and curry leaves – boiled mixture of curry leaves and coconut oil applied on the scalp may prevent premature greying
- Almond oil and lemon juice – another excellent combination that should be applied on the hair
How to hide grey hair?
While there is no evidence that stress may cause premature greying, noticing first grey hairs may be pretty stressful, especially for women. There are a couple of methods that ladies may use in order to cover grey hair. Which method to select mainly depends on how grey the hair is.
- Bobby pins and headbands – if you noticed only a couple of greys, you can hide them with bobby pins or a headband.
- Curling – another method that may help you to hide grey hair is curling, but in this case, you should go with the non-heating method, because heat may damage your hair, and cause breaking of the hair.
- Weave lace front wigs – another excellent option are these wigs. In most cases, they are made from virgin human remy hair. The best thing about these kind of wigs is the fact no one will actually notice that you are wearing one.
- Brazilian Hair extensions – this is probably the best way to cover the greys that are bothering you. Quality hair extensions are made from human hair that may be 100 % Brazilian for instance. Brazilian hair is considered to be the most flexible, and soft. When choosing extensions, make sure their color is the same color as your strands. Extensions will cover the greys, they will make your hair thick, and they will also add volume.